Another W3C spec uses the term "Chrome"

From: Jan Richards <jan.richards@utoronto.ca>
Date: Wed, 26 May 2010 10:01:32 -0400
To: WAI-AUWG List <w3c-wai-au@w3.org>
Hi all,

As those serving long terms on AUWG probably remember we used to use the
term "Chrome" to mean:

"chrome": Any parts of the user interface that do not represent the
content being edited. This includes:
     * user interface elements that surround, underlie, or super-impose
upon editing views (e.g., text areas, menus bars, rulers, pop-up context
menus)
     * user interface elements that are separate from the editing view
(e.g. documentation)"
(http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/WD-ATAG20-20080310/)

After much debate the AUWG switched to: "authoring tool user interface"
defined as:
"The display and control mechanism that authors use to operate the
authoring tool software. User interfaces may be non-web-based or
web-based or a combination (e.g., a non-web-based authoring tool might
have web-based help pages)."

In my opinion this is ok, but doesn't have the clarity and brevity of
"Chrome".

Well, now a W3C the View Mode media feature spec
(http://www.w3.org/TR/2010/WD-view-mode-20100420/) is using "Chrome" in
the way we used to and has come up with a nice defintion:

"Chrome
The chrome comprises the visible parts of the user agent that do not
depend on the content (e.g. window decorations, tool bars, title bars,
menus). "

jan.richards@utoronto.ca | 416-946-7060

Adaptive Technology Resource Centre (ATRC)
Faculty of Information | University of Toronto