Re: The Web Developer's Guide to HTML 5

aloha, roberto!

whilst i agree wholeheartedly with your sentiment -- namely that
there ARE extant authoring tool guidelines and user agent
guidelines and content guidelines, the HTML5 draft as it exists
today attempts to address all of these areas internally, and try
as i might, i cannot get the editors to acknowledge what the HTML
WG chairs have already acknowledged -- that there are already User
Agent and Authoring Tool working groups in the W3C who continue to
update their work, and whose work forms dependencies upon HTML5's
development...  (for more details, consult:
http://esw.w3.org/topic/HTML/AccessibilityDependencies)

in my opinion, one of the problems with the HTML5 draft as it currently
exists, is that it reads more like a specification for user agent
behavior than a technical specification of a declarative markup
language...  the good news is that, as of this writing, NOTHING has been
decided by the HTML WG, and every attempt to release the HTML5 editors'
draft (http://www.w3.org/html/wg/html5/) has met with formal objections
due to it being presented to the working group as a fait accompli...

that being said, the HTML5 draft does enjoy the backing of several major
developers who are already developing to the draft, or on whose
originally proprietary concepts and implementations many of the new
elements introduced by HTML5 are based, and which are codified in the
HTML5 draft submitted to the W3C by the WHAT WG -- despite great
resistance from author-advocates, accessibility advocates, and a great
many other user-oriented angles (for my thoughts on the purpose of HTML5,
you can read my blogsplat on the topic:
http://my.opera.com/oedipus/blog/2007/11/14/trickle-down-or-bottom-up)

the fact is that the HTML5 draft attempts to be all things to all
interested parties -- it contains authoring guidelines, authoring tool
conformance requirements and user agent conformance requirements --
which, unless they can be separated out of the HTML5 draft, need to be
addressed within the framework of the HTML5 draft...  it is undeniably
a draft which is developer-oriented, and a document which is quickly
becoming more and more a fait accompli, as 3 of the "big four" browser
developers are implementing some of its most contentious concepts;
a perfect example of such a codification of an ad-hoc solution is the
CANVAS element, which is already being supported by and developed to by
many of the same implementors who formally asked the HTML WG to adopt
the HTML5 draft, as submitted to the W3C by the WHAT WG, as the basis of
the HTML WG's work...

as an activity and as individual working groups, it is our responsibility
either to stake a dependency claim upon the sections of the HTML5 document
outlined in my original post, to create a joint task force to address
these issues with the HTML WG, or to take an active role in the drafting
process -- whatever is decided, it needs to be formally logged in the
form of a direct request from WG to WG -- i have pointed out time and
again that the WAI suite of documents, as technical recommendations,
must be accorded the same status as any other technical recommendation
issued by the W3C -- that the User Agent conformance section has a
dependency upon UAWG work, that the Authoring Tool conformance section
has a dependency upon AUWG work, that the "author guidance" portions of
the HTML5 draft be compliant with the past and present work of the GL WG,
and that all of the work issued by the WAI (XAG, the XML Accessibility
Guidelines, etc.) MUST be considered in the drafting of HTML5...

just as we must make the HTML WG aware of our work and its crossover
with the drafting of HTML5, so too must we keep abreast of developments
in the molding of the HTML5 draft, to ensure that accessibility features
introduced by HTML4x are either retained or that they are not merely
stripped from the HTML5 draft, but replaced by superior solutions; we
have the necessary expertise to achieve these tasks, and it is our duty
as an activity to do so...

gregory.
SELF-EVIDENT, adj.  Evident to one's self and to nobody else.
                    -- Ambrose Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary
    Gregory J. Rosmaita: oedipus@hicom.net
         Camera Obscura: http://www.hicom.net/~oedipus/
Oedipus' Online Complex: http://my.opera.com/oedipus