Ideas on types of tests ATAG will likely need

From: Jan Richards <jan.richards@utoronto.ca>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 10:17:11 -0500
To: WAI-AUWG List <w3c-wai-au@w3.org>
CC: Michael Cooper <cooper@w3.org>

FYI: As preparation for the WAI Testing Forum I came up with a list of
the different types of tests (manual and/or automated) that we might
find useful in an ATAG test suite. Items 2-4 might be things we can
borrow from other groups etc.

Other ideas are welcome.

1. Step-by-step instructions author and help interpreting outcomes (i.e.
"Do x, do y. Did z happen?"). This can be used to test the accessibility
of UI's as well as the functioning of prompting, checking, etc. This
would include exception testing. Tim has made a good start on these
kinds of tests.

2. Failing content files of the type WCAG-WG and ERT-WG are creating
(used as input to test checkers, UI features (e.g. stop flashing, etc))

3. Passing content files of the type WCAG-WG and ERT-WG are creating
(used as input to test conversion, also may be used to compare with
generated outputs)

4. Accessibility Evaluation Tools (needed to test the accessibility of
outputs, checker accuracy, pre-authored content, web-based UIs, etc.)

5. Automated API testing tools (e.g. whether a particular accessibility
API is properly implemented)

With thanks to Tim for some input.

CHeers,