validity in HTML

From: Matt May <mcmay@w3.org>
Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2005 09:52:12 -0700
To: w3c-wai-au@w3.org

Hi all,

In previous discussions, we had considered validity a part of the
requirements of WCAG, and so the latest draft doesn't specify it
directly. (Checkpoint 2.3 does note that "WCAG includes a markup
validity requirement.") However, the WCAG WG has removed validity as a
Level 1 requirement, and set it at Level 2, with an exception for code
that helps AT or UA compatibility.

Since standards-based coding is an important part of the Web development
process, I would like to propose making validity a P1 requirement in ATAG 2.

-