RE: Microsoft patented keyboard-navigation?

Just to clarify. The threat to the mobile Web and accessibility is real.
Even though the patent is completely obvious. Mobile Web solutions
and accessibility solutions are often created by small companies (such
as ours) and small companies don't have the resources to defend
themselves against patents held by the giants, no matter how "indefensible"
the patents may be. The truth is that a patent is as defensible as your
pockets are deep. When something like this happens, the small innovators
who are trying to add something real to the developing technology will
look to others (e.g. W3C) to defend them. I have great respect for big
companies and their ability to innovate, and I like many of the things they
produce, but sometimes they do something that can only be described as
embarrasing, such as "patenting the wheel". This reflects badly on the
company, badly on their staff (who appear to act without knowledge) and
badly on their country wherein they rely upon a patenting system that has
clearly lost the plot.

It's a pity that the patenting process doesn't have a public review period,
during which the patent could be enforced until and unless a public comment
raises justifiable doubts over the patent legitimacy. A patent could then only
be granted fully if the public judge the concept to be inventive. This would
also deter big business from attempting to patent the wheel, because it wouldn't
just be the USPTO they'd have to convince; they'd have to convince us too.

---Rotan.

(Commentary is my own. It may not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.)