Re: Selecting & Using Software for Web Accessibility

From: William Loughborough <love26@gorge.net>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 07:16:05 -0800
To: Charles McCathieNevile <charles@w3.org>, Judy Brewer <jbrewer@w3.org>
Cc: <w3c-wai-au@w3.org>, EOWG <w3c-wai-eo@w3.org>
At 09:39 AM 2/11/2002 -0500, Charles McCathieNevile wrote:
>it is already a useful document covering an important topic

This particular cup is WAY more than half full. Part of the process should
be to reveal it forcefully to all Consortium Member reps.

Companies/institutions like the ones they work for are most of whom we seek
to inform. Their feedback is vital to the growth of this document which IMO
is the most important thing we've done at WAI. How can we help them help us
"sell" this message?

The guidelines serve well and the ATAG (and possibly even more so XAG) is
what will serve our friends/clients best in the immediate future.

Not to be just a "one-trick pony" I would like to emphasize the importance
of getting our audience to serve as our voice in the wider community and
begin demanding conformance with our principles by pressuring vendors to
create and perhaps more importantly aggressively market systems using
universal design accessible/usable notions.

To do this we may need yet another template: a sort of form-letter/petition
that says that as customers of your Web/networding tools products we NEED
for said products to conform to these principles. This is not only right,
it is in many instances all over the world required by law. When can we
expect to have a tool that enables use by PWD and creates accessible/usable
output?

--
Love.

It's Bad Luck to be Superstitious!