RE: DC.language Re: January 14 Minutes

lang is an attribute defined for a particular language. xml:lang is
predefined for all xml languages. So normally if you want to do something to
have an attribute that describes the natural language content of its host
element, xml:lang would be the smart way to go.

chaals

On Thu, 31 Jan 2002 DPawson@rnib.org.uk wrote:

  Phill wrote:
  > I'm still trying to get DC to fix a problem with the language
  > meta tag.
  > <HTML lang="en-US"> is very redundant with the <meta
  > scheme="rfc1766" name
  > ="DC.Language" content="en-us"/>

  This from the niso (DAISY talking book standard), a response to the
  submission.

  It is unclear what the rationale is for which elements have a lang
  attribute, which have an xml:lang attribute, and which have neither.
  (AQ: XML experts advised us that usage patterns for "xml:lang" and "lang"
  were still in flux but that "lang"would generally be most suitable for our
  application.  We used "xml-lang" in the DTBSMIL DTD since the SMIL
  specification on which our DTD was based used it.  As to which elements were
  assigned one of these attributes, that choice was made during the design of
  each DTD, based on input from our European and Asian contributors, who kept
  an eye on internationalization issues.)

  lang, xml:lang, how should they relate?

  Regards DaveP

  -

  confidential and may be legally privileged. If you are not the
  intended recipient you are hereby notified that you must not use,
  disclose, distribute, copy, print or rely on this email's content. If
  immediately and then delete the email and any attachments from your
  system.

  RNIB has made strenuous efforts to ensure that emails and any
  attachments generated by its staff are free from viruses. However, it
  cannot accept any responsibility for any viruses which are
  transmitted. We therefore recommend you scan all attachments.

  represent those of RNIB.

  RNIB Registered Charity Number: 226227

  Website: http://www.rnib.org.uk