Re: "at a Minimum"

I think that the Working group does need to specify what "at a minimum" can
satisfy the requirements of a checkpoint. The interpretation done by other
organisations to meet further needs  of theirs is additional to the
requirements which this working group addresses in our own work.

cheers

Charles

On Thu, 26 Apr 2001, Phill Jenkins wrote:

  >>At 08:20 2001-04-26 -0700, Heather Swayne wrote:
  >>With regard to the proposed changes for ATAG v2.  I have now talked with
  >>several Product Groups here at MS, and the general feeling is that they
  >>do not like the idea of including "at a minimum" within any of the
  >>guidelines or sub text.
  >>
  >>Some examples of their concerns:
  >>*       Including text like "at a minimum could lower the bar, to allow
  >>product groups to only do that minimum level of work.  As apposed to
  >>allowing individual companies to define their own minimum, or standard,
  >>that they want product groups to follow.
  >
  >A minimum is just that. You are always free to have a "higher" standard.
  >
  >>*       ATAG should not be telling product groups how to implement
  >>guidelines.  The techniques document should be used to show examples of
  >>how a range of products met a given guideline.
  >
  >Yes. Techniques give only suggestions for how something could be
  implemented. Only guidelines should >use "at minimum".

  When you said "guidelines or sub text" Heather, did you mean to say ATAG or
  the techniques or both?

  I've found at IBM that I do in fact have to suggest "at a minimum" also for
  techniques, using phrases like: at a minimum one or more of the following
  techniques need to be implemented to meet the accessibility standard for x
  y z.

  Please see examples in the IBM Hardware Accessibility checklist at
  http://www.ibm.com/able/accesshardware.html   These were just updated,
  software and web will be up on the site soon as well.

  I do NOT recommend this for ATAG, it's IBM, 508, and others that get to
  decide what part of the W3C standard that they want to "at a minimum"
  implement.

  Regards,
  Phill Jenkins
  IBM Research Division - Accessibility Center