Re: Goals of accessible templates

aloha, phil!

since i am tasked with the same action item (preparing sample templates), i
would prioritize the goals for such templates as follows:

1. Must contain only valid code (P1)

2. Must be Triple-A conformant to WCAG (P1)

3. Should look good, sound good, feel good, Braille well, and print well: (P2)

3A. "Look good" means it looks good on Nav4, IE4, IE5, and Opera

3B "Sound good" both with self-voicing browsers, such as Home Page Reader
or WebSpeak, or in conjunction with a screen reader

3C. "Feel good" on a refreshable Braille display

3D. "Braille well" when output to an embosser

3E. personally, i'm not sure about "print well"  unless you mean to
encourage use of the CSS media selector "@media print"

4. Must be capable of passing an evaluation and repair tool's tests (tools
include, BOBBY, A-Prompt, and HTML Tidy) (P1)

gregory

At 04:05 PM 3/1/00 -0600, Phil wrote:
>Please comment on my new prioritized goals for templates:
>
>1. Must pass WCAG AAA
>2. Must look good, sound good, Braille good, and print good:
>      "Look good" means it looks good on Nav4, IE4, IE5, and Opera
>      "Sound good" on IBM Home Page Reader and PW WebSpeak
>      "Braille good" on latest screen readers w/Braille display
>      "print good" means ? [dare I say pdf]
>3. Should pass BOBBY.
>4. Should be valid code
>

>Jutta wrote:
> >... My sense of the priorities is:
> >should pass WCAG AAA which can be further verified by the tests you
>listed.
>
>pjenkins@us.ibm.com wrote:
> >

> >Some things I wanted to discuss is the scope of the template:
> >In priority order:
> >1. Must look good, sound good, Braille good, and print good:
> >     "Look good" means it looks good on Nav4, IE4, IE5, and Opera
> >     "Sound good" on IBM Home Page Reader and PW WebSpeak
> >     "Braille good" on JFW 3.5? on Windows w/Braille display
> >     "print good" means ?
> >2. Should pass BOBBY.
> >3. Should be valid code.

He that lives on Hope, dies farting
      -- Benjamin Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack, 1763
Gregory J. Rosmaita <unagi69@concentric.net>
    WebMaster and Minister of Propaganda, VICUG NYC
         <http://www.hicom.net/~oedipus/vicug/index.html>