Re: Authoring Tool Recommendations?

Does anyone have a good conformance profile for Hotmetal?

Wendy, do you want to do one?

Charles

On Wed, 22 Sep 1999, Wendy A Chisholm wrote:

  Hello,

  I have used SoftQuad's HoTMetaL for the last three years.  It is extremely
  easy to use and includes some accessibility checks.  The checks are more
  stringent than WCAG 1.0, however, so I actually don't use them.  I just ran
  one of my pages through and received a summary of 16 inaccessible elements
  (yikes!?).  These messages seem to by in synch with an old version of the
  Unified Guidelines.  I claim the page conforms at the AAA level of WCAG 1.0.

  Ben, the Webmaster here at Trace, uses HomeSite and TopStyle.   He says
  that there are not explicit accessibility checks that it performs but that
  "you can pretty easily customize the tag inspector feature to look for
  certain attributes within elements, validate for them, etc..."

  It's going to be hard to recommend a tool that will create a nice layout
  without gunking it up with tables.  Although, Adobe's GoLive uses a table
  grid and seems to lay things out without needing to create a new table for
  each element (this statement is not based on extensive use).  I haven't
  played with the other WYSIWYG tools in a while...

  At this point, the best recommendation may be to use a tool that produces
  clean HTML (like HoTMetaL, HomeSite, Amaya, etc.) and check accessibility
  with Bobby.

  just fyi,
  --w

  wendy chisholm