Re: document natural langauge

I think one of the purposes of the guidelines is to educate people on what
is important to implement.  Both WC and UA could have just said implement
the specification and made no other reference to natural language in the
guidelines document.  I think that since the other groups have allocated
guideline and checkpoint space to the issue, the authoring tools group
would want to have a supporting checkpoint for consistency with the other
guidelines.
Jon

At 03:36 PM 9/21/99 -0400, you wrote:
>I think that it is covered by the fact that we reference and require
>conformance to the GL document in production of content, and the User Agent
>guidelines are cited as guidelines which may be applicable (for example to a
>preview mode, or an editor that also functions as a browser).
>
>Charles McCN
>
>On Tue, 21 Sep 1999, Jon Gunderson wrote:
>
>  One of the issues in WC and UA has been the specification and use of
>  natural language (English, Japanese, French.... ) of the document and
>  support the inclusion of natural language information.  I noticed that is
>  mentioned in the AU techniques for Checkpoint 3.1 and 4.1, but no
>  checkpoint that deals with the issue directly.  You may want to consider
>  adding a checkpoint for compatibility with both user agent and web content,
>  since web content has an entire guideline on the topic and user agent has
>  several checkpoints.
>
>  Jon
>
>  Jon Gunderson, Ph.D., ATP
>  Coordinator of Assistive Communication and Information Technology
>  Chair, W3C WAI User Agent Working Group
>  Division of Rehabilitation - Education Services
>  University of Illinois at Urbana/Champaign
>  1207 S. Oak Street
>  Champaign, IL 61820
>
>  Voice: 217-244-5870
>  Fax: 217-333-0248
>  E-mail: jongund@uiuc.edu
>  WWW:	http://www.staff.uiuc.edu/~jongund
>  		http://www.w3.org/wai/ua
>  		http://www.als.uiuc.edu/InfoTechAccess
>

>--Charles McCathieNevile            mailto:charles@w3.org
>phone: +1 617 258 0992   http://www.w3.org/People/Charles
>W3C Web Accessibility Initiative    http://www.w3.org/WAI
>MIT/LCS  -  545 Technology sq., Cambridge MA, 02139,  USA

Jon Gunderson, Ph.D., ATP