Re: accessibility of the installation process

Gregory,

I thought accessibility of the installation process is part of the
platform-specific software accessibility guidelines that are referenced
from AUWG (at least I hope it is!) and so there is not actually a gap there.

- Judy

At 03:15 PM 9/1/99 -0400, Gregory J. Rosmaita wrote:
>aloha, y'all!
>
>i know that this is probably the last can of worms anyone in this WG wants
>opened at this particular time, but, having recently installed a number of
>currently available authoring tools in preparation for evaluating  them
against
>the AUGL, i've been wondering why the User Agent guidelines have a checkpoint
>(number 1.3) covering the accessibility of the installation process [1] when
>the AUGL doesn't?
>
>the only explicit references to installation that i could find were in the AU
>Techniques document:-- both are listed under Checkpoint 5.1, and neither
>addresses the concern about an accessible installation interface in a manner
>similar to that utilized in the UAGL
>
>begin first quote
>The accessibility features should be designed as integral components of the
>authoring tool application, not plug-ins or other peripheral components that
>need to be separately obtained, installed, configured or executed
>end first quote
>
>begin second quote
>The default installation of the authoring tool should include all
accessibility
>features enabled. The author may have the option to disable these features
>later on.
>end second quote
>
>i have no problem with addressing this concern in the techniques document,
but
>i did think it an important enough issue -- even if just from a WAI GL to WAI
>GL compatibility point of view -- to raise before we enter last call...
>
>gregory.
>
>References
>[1] <http://www.w3.org/WAI/UA/WAI-USERAGENT/#tech-device-independent-install>
>He that lives on Hope, dies farting
>     -- Benjamin Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack, 1763
>Gregory J. Rosmaita <unagi69@concentric.net>
>   President, WebMaster, & Minister of Propaganda,
>        VICUG NYC <http://www.hicom.net/~oedipus/vicug/>

World Wide Web Consortium (W3C)