Re: proposal for 7.3

aloha, charles!

whilst, at first (quick) listen, i agreed with your rewording of 7.3 -- quote
Clearly identify any missing accessibility features in each example. P1
unquote, when i re-read it, the only thought that came to mind is: why the hell
we can't just say quote Do NOT use inaccessible markup in examples unquote

there are (and will continue to be, for as long as the web exists) innumerable
web sites where one can go to learn how to use (or, rather, misuse)
inaccessible and invalid HTML and other stupid stylistic tricks to achieve a
perceived effect for a specific platform, graphics card, browser, etc. -- why
should we tell developers quote it is ok if you teach them how to do something
wrong, as long as you point out to them the potential problems blah blah blah
unquote

so, i vote against the proposal, and vote for keeping the original wording, and
this is an issue for which i am willing to filibuster, if necessary...
allowing AU manufacturers to provide inaccessible and slash or invalid markup
in examples is not only unconscionable, it's just plain counter-productive --
not to mention counter-intuative....

gregory.

At 11:50 AM 8/16/99 CMN wrote:
>currently it reads "do not use inaccessible markup in examples [p1]"
>
>I propose that we change it to
>
>"Clearly identify any missing accessibility features in each example. P1"
>
>An alternative possiblity is to make it P1 for features which are
>web-content-priority-1, p2 for those which are web-content-priority-2, etc.
>But i think this is a general P1, consistent with the application of priority
>1 to checkpoints which require the author to be guided towards accessible
>design
He that lives on Hope, dies farting
     -- Benjamin Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack, 1763
Gregory J. Rosmaita <oedipus@hicom.net>
   President, WebMaster, & Minister of Propaganda,
        VICUG NYC <http://www.hicom.net/~oedipus/vicug/>