RE: Development Cost

From: Jutta Treviranus <jutta.treviranus@utoronto.ca>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 15:03:18 -0500
To: Charles Oppermann <chuckop@microsoft.com>, WAI AU Guidelines <w3c-wai-au@w3.org>
Regarding the benefits of a structure view, I think Chuck has grossly
understated them.

If I have low vision and am magnifying the screen by a power of eight I can
see very little on the screen, I need to scroll through many screens to get
a sense of the structure and it is easy to get lost. A compressed view of
the document allows me to both get a good sense of the overall structure
and to navigate that structure more easily.

If I am a switch access user and I need to manuevre through a document I am
writing or editing it may take a great many switch hits to get to the place
I want to go. If I can again compress my document and move to the section
of the document, it will save my limited time and energy.

The other point to make is that as Chuck has stated, although not directly,
this  "solution" has many "curbcut" advantages and it can be argued that it
would benefit all authors (or why would Microsoft put it in so many of
their other products).