re: Technique or Checkpoint

From: Charles McCathieNevile <charles@w3.org>
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 1999 01:56:40 -0500 (EST)
To: Kynn Bartlett <kynn-hwg@idyllmtn.com>
cc: "w3c-wai-au@w3.org" <w3c-wai-au@w3.org>
Actually I see this referring more to text used as longdesc than as alt.
Using 'search', 'home', 'site index' etc should be a no-brainer.
Appropriately describing my wife's painting of our apartment, which
doesn't actually look quite like our apartment, is a whole different
kettle of fish. Similarly for video description and such.

I will happily write alt text, and descriptions for reasonably simple
technical drawings, but interpreting artworks is something I find very
challenging (and also lots of fun - in my spare time I love it).

Charles

On Fri, 12 Feb 1999, Kynn Bartlett wrote:

  At 07:18 p.m. 02/11/99 -0500, Charles McCathieNevile wrote:
  >Including pre-written descripitions, which are generated by professionals,
  >will provide a high-quality text ready-made.

  Like at least one other person who's spoken up about this, I'm
  wondering about the term "professionals."

  I sense a new line of my sig coming on. ;)
  Professional ALT-text author                     http://www.kynn.com/+alt
  Spring 1999 Virtual Dog Show!                     http://www.dogshow.com/
  Enroll now for my web accessibility course    http://www.kynn.com/+access

phone: +1 617 258 0992   http://purl.oclc.org/net/charles