Re: Technique or Checkpoint

From: Charles McCathieNevile <charles@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 16:46:37 -0500 (EST)
To: Kynn Bartlett <kynn-hwg@idyllmtn.com>
cc: WAI AU Guidelines <w3c-wai-au@w3.org>, WAI UA group <w3c-wai-ua@w3.org>
Actually, it sounds like a checkpoint to me - a thing which Authoring
Tools "should" do to significantly increase the accesibility of the end
product. It is certainly not a priority 1. Techniques for this include
supporting the use of standards which allow information to be encoded with
it (such as GIF), as well as asking User Agent Guidelines to consider
providing access to that information.

Charles McCN

On Thu, 11 Feb 1999, Kynn Bartlett wrote:

  At 03:52 p.m. 02/11/99 -0500, Jutta Treviranus wrote:
  >Should the point about "Including professionally written descriptions for
  >all multimedia files (e.g., clip art) packaged with the software"
  >be a checkpoint and therefore something that must or should be done or
  >should it be a technique and therefore a suggested way of fulfilling the
  >guideline 2.6?

  This sounds like a technique to me.

  The principle is:

      "Make it easy for users to suply alternative text."

  The technique is:

      "...by including default descriptions for things you give them."

  Anyone have suggested working for the checkpoint, though?

  Six Principles of Accessible Web Design:         http://www.kynn.com/+six
  Spring 1999 Virtual Dog Show!                     http://www.dogshow.com/
  Enroll now for my web accessibility course    http://www.kynn.com/+access

phone: +1 617 258 0992   http://purl.oclc.org/net/charles