Re: My response to Microsoft

From: Jan Richards <jan.richards@utoronto.ca>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 14:14:13 -0500
To: "B.K. DeLong" <bkdelong@naw.org>
CC: w3c-wai-au@w3.org
Hi,

I'm not sure about presenting three different options to users who may
lack previous exposure to accessibility issues. i.e. In this case option
1 looks to be the easiest. As far as the guidelines go, this idea is
very low level. I think the guidelines should stick to higher level
directives and let the tool-makers deal with how to implement them.

> Here's an idea. The current Authoring Tool guidelines state that an
> Authoring Tool should not insert default text into the ALT attribute but
> should insert a null string by default. How about having FrontPage prompt
> the user to enter ALT attribute text with a dialog box and have the dialog
> box give them radio button options of 1) keeping it blank, 2) Inserting the
> Filename of the graphic without the extension, (ie if it's search.gif
> insert Search), or 3) Insert new text and have an input box for them to
> input the text. This gets around the problem of not adding a default as per
> the AU guidelines but guarentees all images will have ALT attributes.

Jan Richards
jan.richards@utoronto.ca
ATRC