RE: WAI AU guidelines comments

From: B.K. DeLong <bkdelong@naw.org>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 1999 09:07:44 -0500
To: <w3c-wai-au@w3.org>
At 05:08 PM 1/13/99 +1100, Rob Cumming wrote:
>In this context HTML 3.2 still
>represents the level of markup that the
>majority of our users want to work to, with perhaps a third of them
>seriously utilizing HTML 4.0 markup, perhaps a tenth
>might dabble with CSS 1 and XML/CSS 2 dont even get on the radar.

Maybe we should add something allowing for Authoring Tools to have
different levels of "checks." In the preferences, a user says they only
want to program in HTML 3.2, (default being 4.0), and as they program, they
are told when something is NOT accessible according to HTML 3.2...

>In my experience the average government official cant tell their head from
>their butt, let alone comprehend the
>varieties of HTML techniques that are accessible in the varieties of user

You are right. The minute we present this to any govt. official...they're
going to snore away. They don't care about many of these issues because
quite a lot of them are running 386/486 machines with Nescape 2.0.
B.K. DeLong                  360 Huntington Ave.
Director                         Suite 140CSC-305
New England Chapter     Boston, MA 02115
World Organization        (617) 247-3753
of Webmasters