Priority definition

From: Charles McCathieNevile <charles@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 11:54:20 -0400 (EDT)
To: WAI AU Guidelines <w3c-wai-au@w3.org>
Proposal:

The goal of these guidelines is to produce authoring tools which can be used
by authors regardless of disability to produce accessible content. The
priority assigned to each checkpoint is a reflection of their importance in
meeting those goals:

Priority 1 - Essential. This is a basic requirement for meeting the goals.
Priority 2 - Important. This will significantly facilitate meeting the goals.
Priority 3 - Beneficial. This will help in meeting the goals.
Priority R - relative priority. In some cases a checkpoint requires
conformance to another set of guidelines which allow for varying levels of
conformance. The priority for each level is analogous to the priority for
these guidlelines as follows:
  Priority 1: Conform to level-A, or meet all the essential requirements
  Priority 2: Conform to double-A, or meet all the important requirements
  Priority 3: Conform to tripe-A, or meet all the beneficial requirements

(I suspect we should make explicit reference to WCAG, as the document we most
commonly refer to. Thoughts?)

Charles