content/presentation

From: William Loughborough <love26@gorge.net>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 1999 07:09:49 -0700
To: au <w3c-wai-au@w3.org>
At the end of the telecon I mentioned some misgivings about the dual use
of the word "content": the content of the file (with markup); the
content in the sense of "separate content from presentation" imperative.

One of the main purposes of the WAI "movement" is to join the CSSers and
other rational folk in an attempt (hopefuly not foolishly vain) to get
authors to keep "content" (meaning, import?) distinct from presentation.
Many authors find this incomprehensible since to them form is an
inseparable part of function - there is no non-semantic content, even
the color of the <HR>s carries a message.

I don't have a clue as to what to do about any of this but in the
interest of a bow to political correctness, I think we might find a word
for "markup content" that is different from "idea content".

Or not!
--
Love.
            ACCESSIBILITY IS RIGHT - NOT PRIVILEGE