Re: Re-Organizing Guideline 2.7

At 07:26 p.m. 04/21/99 -0400, gregory j. rosmaita wrote:
>how can we condone, let alone give our stamp of approval to, a tool which
>shows how to construct a form or table _without_ including the
>accessibility features associated with such elements as part-and-parcel of
>what constitutes a form or a table?  if we leave the current 2.7.1 as-is,
>and the current 2.7.2 a p2, we doing just that...

Not really, Gregory, because Charles is arguing that you only get
the stamp of approval if you do P1 _and_ P2 checkpoints.

Which, frankly, is confusing and bothersome to me, and I think that
Charles needs to propose merging P1 and P2 if that's what he really
wants done.

Which is as much a skewing of the multi-tiered priority system as
proposing only 2 priorities -- frankly, I think that may be a better
idea, or possibly requiring compliance with ALL priorities (P1, P2) and
offering lesser-ranked priorities (P3) as techniques under a more
broad "principle-based" checkpoint.

PRACTICAL EXAMPLE:

We have only one P3 currently in section 2.  The rest all are P1
and P2 which Charles would like to see as mandatory, minimum
compliance items.  Checkpoint 2.3.4 is the only "optional" P3 under
this scheme:

     "Provide a mechanism to manage alternative content for
      multimedia objects, which retains and offers for editing
      pre-written or previously linked alternative content."

This could easily be a technique for 2.3.3 and/or 2.3.5, or a
more general P1/P2 checkpoint:

     "Allow authors to easily manage alternative content"

With the technique being a specific example of how to implement
that.

Once you've dealt with 2.3.4, we don't _have_ P3s anymore, and
with P2s being the baseline for conformance, all checkpoints are
now equal.

Ta da, I have now proven that checkpoint priorities are
meaningless. :)

--
Kynn Bartlett <kynn@hwg.org>
President, Governing Board Member