null alt revisited

From: William Loughborough <love26@gorge.net>
Date: Thu, 08 Apr 1999 08:57:50 -0700
To: "w3c-wai-au@w3.org" <w3c-wai-au@w3.org>
A friend writes "I think alt=" " would be effective in forcing the
webauthor to do SOMETHING but I also think we should be hounding browser
vendors to break any page on which NOTHING was done with it".

This was in response to my proposal that the default in an authoring
tool be alt=" " *provided that this will force modification* to either
enter non-white-space text or, in the case of "trivial" graphics, a null
("").
--
Love.
            ACCESSIBILITY IS RIGHT - NOT PRIVILEGE