Re: Conference call Minutes

As I recall it the minutes are correct. The rationale was that a default
ALT value of any kind means that validating tools will not be able to
determine the fact that the ALT text is not human-generated (and
computers are still not very good at reading pictures, except bitmapped
text) and therefore unlikely to be of much value, and that if there was a
default value it would enable authors to simply rely on it instead of
providing a useful value.

Charles McCN

On Tue, 6 Oct 1998, Mickey Quenzer wrote:

> Hi:  I My recollection for item 7 is different.  Please correct me if I am
> rong.
> I think that this should read:
>
> 7. It was decided that there should be a guideline that states that the
> authoring tool should not generate default alt- text but should create a
> place-holder alt text.

The minutes from Jutta read: