Re: Hosting translation

Hi Nick, Ajeet,

Indeed, it doesn't matter so much that the look and feel of the website
where you host your W3C documents translations is different from the W3C
website. Matching the style is slightly preferable as it helps people
recognizing the original pages.

However, it is crucial to remember the following obligations from our
Intellectual Rights FAQ, which concerns "Technical Reports" and is
applicable to all documents that are material for the database
(recommendations, articles, FAQs and tutorials, group notes):

cf. <http://www.w3.org/Consortium/Legal/IPR-FAQ-20000620#translate>

Which reads:

----------------
To translate a Technical Reports, please first inform the W3C of your
intention by sending an message in English to w3c-translators@w3.org and —
if provided — the comments email list associated with that document. In
your message, state that you agree to the following terms:
the translation may be redistributed according to the W3C Document License.
that the W3C may rescind your right to publish or distribute the
derivative work if the W3C finds that it leads to confusion regarding the
original document's status or integrity.

In the translation, you must include the following information in the
target language:
a reference to the original document
that the normative version of the specification is the English version
found at the W3C site.
that the translated document may contain errors from the translation.

This disclosure should be made in a prominent location, generally a header
and/or footer that wraps the translated specification. It is important
that no changes in meaning be made to any part of the W3C document
including the Status Section, contributors, or appendices. If comments or
annotations are absolutely necessary within the content of the
specification, those annotations must be clearly represented as such.

You MUST retain the English version of the copyright notice in your
translation. You MAY (but are not required to) also include a translated
version of the copyright notice per Translations of the W3C Copyright
Notice.

Please inform us when you have completed the translation by sending a
message to w3c-translators@w3.org.

--
Coralie Mercier - Communications Team - Incubator Activity Lead
      W3C/ERCIM - N212 - 2004, rte des lucioles - 06410 Biot - FR