Re: translation Circus

gareth edison пишет:
> What was supposed to be a good idea ist turning into a fiasco of link
> hungry webmasters posing as translators who are translating documents
> no one really wants or needs. It is certainly helpfull to be able to
> read these Documents in French, Dutch, German. Greek, Russian, Cinese
> or Japanese but I fail to grasp the importancy of translating
> documents into languages like Turmen, Uzbek, Azerbajan, Kazakh,
> Belarussian, Ukrainian, Estonian, Latvian, Tatar, Georgian or even
> Armenian. Imagine Indian webmasters translating these documents into
> some of the 50 different dialects of Tamil or Sanskrit or how about
> our fellow Chinese webmasters translation their chines documents into
> Shangjainese or Taiwanese.

Think of the Earth as a globe. Don't be so ignorant.

> My question is, where will W3c draw the line?
>
> The Turkish translation below is just one of the results of people
> translating documents into languages they are not familiar with. This
> document was clearly translated into Turkish from a Russian
> translation which is spoiling the high standard of work required by
> W3C in order to produce quality translations.

W3C has its own translation policy. As far as I see, the policy is to
encourage a translations of *any kind and quality* due to the fact that
the translation is *a hard work* in itself. There is a pitfall in that
they trade the relevancy and quality for being friendly and tolerant.

> Wouldnt it be much wiser to allow ONLY *native speakers* to translate
> documents for W3C instead of people producing translations which they
> cant read themselves?

This list is the mechanism for controlling the quality of the
translations. Native speakers are able to review the translations and
comment on them. This was exactly what happened with the Turkish (or
non-Turkish) translation you mentioned.

> the many Russian dialects as mentioned above.

Such statement could be taken as quite offensive by many people.

--
Andrei Polushin