Re: Accepted Terms (was: Re: Fw: Is there a russian translation of XML 1.0 recommendation in the work?)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Martin J. Duerst" <duerst@w3.org>
To: "Mat Marie" <matmarie@pcnet.ro>; <w3c-translators@w3.org>
Sent: Monday, April 24, 2000 1:38 AM
Subject: Accepted Terms (was: Re: Fw: Is there a russian translation of
XML 1.0 recommendation in the work?)

> Please note that terms showing up in translations may or may not
> be 'accepted terms'. In some cases, there are already accepted
> terms, and translators are familliar with them. In other cases,
> there are just no accepted terms as of yet, and translators have
> to come up with some, which is quite a difficult task. Some of
> these terms may end up to become well accepted; some others may
> not. Finding good new terms is hard work, with quite a bit of
> trial-and-error involved.
>
> If anybody on the list has some experience from his/her translation
> work with creating/selecting terms, please share!

I've translated the WCAG and I'm now localizing the Mozilla browser into
Norwegian. One resource I've found of great help in this work, is the
Microsoft's translation glossaries at <URL:
ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/developr/msdn/newup/glossary/ >. These contain
translations for every word and phrase in all Microsoft products
(Windows, Word, Internet Explorer &c.) (which have been translated into
your target language). I'm not sure it contains much info on XML terms,
but at least the IE glossary should contain some web related terms.

Novell <URL: ftp://ftp.ege.edu.tr/pub/Novell/updates/tresorce/gloss/ >
has also released their glossaries. There are much smaller then the MS
ones, but still useful.

And at <URL:
ftp://dev.apple.com/devworld/Tool_Chest/Localization_Tools/Apple_Intl_Gl
ossaries >, you'll find the official MacOS glossaries, available in 34
languages and several different formats.

--
Regards,
Karl Ove Hufthammer