Re: Text of XML article

Thanks for XML article for PC Week Online April 14, 1997.

    http://www.pcweek.com/news/0414/14mark.html

I appreciate your positioning of XML as going beyond HTML but
stripped of many of SGML's superfluous features. I note some
minor historical adjustments and statistical observations.

Politically, W3C staff personnel in Cambridge, MA, have had an
important role in XML. They have had almost nothing public to do
with this technical work even though Dan Connolly is official
liaison person to W3C.

Jon Bosak is the chair of the w3c-sgml-wg. Jon recruited an
editorial review board, editors, and recognized experts.
Official contributions were solicited starting 5 September 1996.
Three parts were identified for a completed XML spec: syntax,
linking, and styling. Editors include Tim Bray and Michael
Sperberg-McQueen on syntax, and Tim Bray and Steve DeRose on linking.

The editors have encouraged focused discussion of contentious issues.
To date 93 contributing members worldwide have exchanged over 4000
messages, some 13 MBytes.

An 11-person editorial review board has resolved issues discussed
by the contributors.

The XML: Part 1. Syntax initial draft was made public 11 November
1996 at SGML '96. Draft two came out 31 March 1997.

On 6 April 1997 the first draft of XML Part 2. Linking was released,
at WWW6.

Onward to styling.

Regards/Harvey Bingham