Re: xmllink-970406 various

 In message <199704070431.AAA19906@www10.w3.org> Michael Sperberg-McQueen writes:
 [...]
 > are defined by the XML spec if the object is application/xml, and
                                                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
 Earlier suggestions on this WG suggested that all XML applications
 would be text/xml?

 On a different point, if an XML document points at another XML document
 (whether in whole or in part) there seem to be the following possibilities:

 	- the target document has the same DOCTYPE (explicitly) as the referring
 	document.  This should cause no problems.

 	- the target document is WF but has no DOCTYPE.  (We know it's XML
 	because of the MIME type).  The only option is to assume that it
 	uses the same DTD as the referring document.  (If the referring
 	document is valid but the target is only WF, does this vitiate
 	validity?

 	- the target document is a valid document with a different DOCTYPE.

 	- the target document is an invalid XML document .  Is this a
 		reportable error?  (In fact XML-LINK is fairly light on
 		error reporting at present - is this intended to be added
 		later?)

 Maybe this is all up to the application, but it seems to me that it will be
 a common occurrence.

 	P.

 --
 Peter Murray-Rust, domestic net connection
 Virtual School of Molecular Sciences