Re: xmllink-970406 various

Gavin Nicol wrote:

> >client user agent to do this.  I may be confused on this point,
> >but it also appears that a complete instance is always returned
> >and the user agent must resolve the query.
>
> This is incorrect.

Good.  What is correct?

> >concurrent integrated development environments.  Where the
> >enterprise is large, the product complex, and the developers
> >are geographically distributed, stored queries are vital
> >to coping with the dynamic aspects of workflow.
>
> Sure, but unless the results are deterministic, you cannot
> *interoperate*.

Who bells the cat? The market?

The use of determinism seems inappropriate.  As I read the following,
the behavior
of the fragment identifier (a nameloc of sorts) is defined, but the
query is not.  IOW, in this spec, it appears to be worthless.  If as
stated the scheme defines the semantics, then is it the case that
query is a component for which no http semantics other than the
append operation are defined, and it is functionally useless?

If so, it isn't non-deterministic:  it is undetermined.

Another way to look at that is, it is an
opportunity to define, implement and colonize as
quickly as possible, destabilize competitors, and stay within
the limit of *keeping up appearances".   If the resource
determines the query semantic, then yes, this is server
behavior.  Is that it?

If so, the maximum opportunity here (marketwise) is to define a server
behavior for XML queries, implement it, and field it before
anyone else can.  It may not be accepted by the ERB, but who
cares.  This becomes the area to exploit.

len bullard

"draft-fielding-url-syntax-04.txt

3.  URL References

... While a URL reference is used to perform a retrieval action, the
optional
fragment identifier... consists of additional reference information to
be interpreted
by the user agent after the retrieval action has been successfully
completed.  As
such, it is not part of the URL but is used in conjunction with a URL.
The forma
and interpretation of fragment identifiers is dependent on the media
type of the
resource referenced by the URL.

4.1  Scheme

... there are a variety of schemes for descrbing the location of such
resources...
***... the first component defines the semantics for the remainder of
the URL string.***

"4.3  URL Syntactic Component

The URL Syntax is dependent upon the scheme.. most URL schemes use a
common sequence
of four main components to define the location of a resource

each of which, except <scheme> mayt be absent from a particular URL.
Some URL
schemes do no allow a <site> component and others do not use a <query>
component."

"4.3.3 .  Query Component

The query component is a string of information to be interpreted by
the resource.  query = *urlc"