[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Public Identifiers, and CATALOGS

I must admit that I am amazed by the idea of a non-"portable" XML, in the
sense of an XML whose documents would not be equipped so that they could
survive technology change without recoding: such as the "death of URLs" or
the "arrival of URNs."

I use SGML for its portability and durability. An XML without this at
its heart is in my mind severely wounded and will cause the market confusion
that you describe: "It's SGML without the features! It's HTML without the
simplicity!" Thus far the decisions we have made have all preserved this
feature of SGML and I had presumed that it was also central to everyone
else.

 Paul Prescod