Re: AW: public/catalog [was: Re: ERB Decisions of March 26th]

Weichel Bernhard (K3/EES4) wrote:
> If nested catalogs are not supported, I guess many implementors will add
> other features following different approaches. Therefore I propose, that
> the following features of SGML Open catalogs should be there:
>
>         OVERRIDE - making the document totally independant from occasionally
>                         exisiting system identifiers
>         CATALOG - allowing a very flexible file arrangement by nested catalogs

At this point I believe that those additions would make catalogs
sufficiently difficult to implement that they would be voted down, and
thrown out. Some favour throwing out public identifiers altogether if
catalogs are not fully specified, so we would lose those too. We must be
conserative in what we ask for.

 Paul Prescod