Re: public/catalog [was: Re: ERB Decisions of March 26th]

[Peter Flynn:]

| The point is that the data structure (the FPI) already exists, and
| people want to use it, even as a placeholder.

Here's the problem.  Most users who have expressed an opinion (this
includes myself) want public identifiers.  But most implementors who
have expressed an opinion won't have anything to do with them until a
behavior is specified.  Given this division, I vote with the
implementors, because an imperfect system that's implemented always
beats a perfect system that isn't.

Jon