[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: public/catalog [was: Re: ERB Decisions of March 26th]

Terry Allen wrote:

> I am unwilling to specify any default resolution mechanism
> for PUBLIC identifiers.  This should be at the discretion of
> the user agent.

Default means "at the discretion of the user agent, as long as they
support at least *this*." There is no dichtomy between default and
freedom.

> (And by resolution I mean what Peter does,
> figuring out the indirection and obtaining the item.)  One
> can say that a catalogue is the publisher's advice on how
> to resolve his PIs, but the client should not be restricted
> to that method.

If we meant that the client should be restricted, we would not use the
word "default", we would use the word "exclusive."

 Paul Prescod