[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: The furore over PUBLIC

It's catechism time again.

Q: What is the primary purpose of XML?

   The primary purpose of XML is to serve as a delivery format for
   structured data over the World Wide Web.

Q: Do we hope that XML will also be used for authoring?

   Yes, we hope that XML will also be used for authoring.

Q: Is that its primary purpose?

   No, that is not its primary purpose.

Q: Do we expect XML to be used for database storage?

   Yes, we expect XML to be used for database storage.

Q: Is that its primary purpose?

   No, that is not its primary purpose.

Q: Are authoring and storage important to us?

   Yes, authoring and storage are extremely important to us.

Q: Are they as important as delivery over the Web?

   No, they are not.

Q: What is the most important aspect of delivery over the Web?

   The most important aspect of delivery over the Web is
   interoperability.

Q: Are URLs interoperable for Web delivery?

   Yes, they are.

Q: Why are URLs interoperable?

   Because there is an agreed-upon mechanism by which documents
   identified with URLs can be delivered over the Web.

Q: Are XML public identifiers interoperable for Web delivery?

   No, they are not.

Q: Why are XML public identifiers not interoperable?

   Because there is no agreed-upon mechanism by which documents
   identified with XML public identifiers can be delivered over the
   Web.

Q: What will Web developers say to us if we deliver a standard for
   Web delivery in which a major feature does not interoperate?

   They will laugh us to scorn.

Q: Is that all?

   They will hold us up to public ridicule and contempt.

Q: Is that all?

   They may not implement XML.

Q: Can we have features that fail to provide interoperable Web
   delivery in XML?

   No, we cannot have features that fail to provide interoperable Web
   delivery in XML.

Jon

Follow-Ups: References: