Re: ERB Decisions of March 26th

	Date: Wed, 26 Mar 1997 15:45:38 -0800
	From: bosak@atlantic-83.Eng.Sun.COM (Jon Bosak)

	| >So in this draft, no public IDs.  It should be voted that *every person*
	| >on the No side would change their vote to Yes if there was an agreed-on
	| >resolution mechanism for PUBLIC identifiers.

	It should be noted that all the NO votes were "no, not ready for this
	particular draft, we need to agree on a resolution mechanism before we
	can include public identifiers."  There is general agreement that XML
	will have public identifiers, but there has to be general agreement on
	a resolution mechanism before it shows up in the spec.  XML 1.0 has a
	long way to go before it achieves "recommended" status.  This feature
	just isn't cooked yet.
Since some (Most?) of us who want PUBLIC IDs strongly feel that a _mandated_
mechanism would be a serious mistake, this argument is a
non-argument. I do know from experience that the abstraction of naming
is simply not attractive to some people. No amount of arguing seems to
change positions either. At any rate, I think we will need to keep
going here, at least to get to the point that we can put an URN in XML
and have it be legal. Tha eliminates the use of URLs as a fallback
resolution, but that's life. Or we may yet do the right thing...

  -- David