Re: the return of the Public Identifier Question

> It occurs to me, in fact, that if we simply allow SYSTEM entries
> in our CATALOGs, and allow nothing else (except possibly DELEGATE or
> CATALOG entries??), we have no need for PUBLIC at all.
>
> You get all the indirection you like.

So now *every* URL must be looked up in the catalog? And if we design a
global resolution system then every URL must be looked up first in the global
resolution system (which could be several network messages) and then, on
failure, is directly accessed? I prefer to call a spade a spade: public
identifiers are designed to be looked up. They are not addresses. System
identifiers describe where something lives: they are addresses.

 Paul Prescod