Re: the return of the Public Identifier Question

> The SGML "promise", as I understand it, is that the result of
> fetching an entity referred to by a Public Identifier will be the
> same today, tomorrow and always, here and in Madagascar and on the
> Moon.

Not true - see clause 10.2.2.5.  That clause only applies to "public
text for which a _public text display version_ ([90]) could have been
specified but was not" (despite the fact that "if the public text is
device-dependent, the text identifier must include a _public text
display version_ ([90])").

The important precedent here is that the same *logical* text is
fetched.  For example, "ISO 8879:1986//ENTITIES Publishing//EN" might
get SDATA entities tailored for DynaText, or ones appropriate to
ArborText.  The same *logical* construct is fetched either way.

Likewise, a DTD with added ICADD #FIXED attributes is really a display
version of the same logical text and should be alternately
retrievable.

-Chris
--
Christopher R. Maden                  One Richmond Square
DynaText SIT Technical Support        Providence, RI 02906 USA