Re: the return of the Public Identifier Question

As much as I'd like to see public IDs be usable, I think they should
be left out in the absence of a robust resolution method.

If there isn't a resolution method in place, we can't really require
resolution for conformance.  This means an optional feature, violating
the goals of the spec.  Additionally, optional features can't be
trusted on the Web.

If you need public IDs for your authoring environment, stick with SGML
for now, and transform to XML for delivery only.

-Chris
--
Christopher R. Maden                  One Richmond Square
DynaText SIT Technical Support        Providence, RI 02906 USA