Re: 4.4 URL processing

In message <3.0.32.19970305124250.009549a0@pop.intergate.bc.ca> Tim Bray writes:
> At 12:33 PM 3/4/97 -0800, Tim Bray wrote:
> >Very likely XML Link will use URLs (perhaps among things) for locators.
> >Is this all we need to say?
> >Do we need specific interpretation of '#' fragment handling for XML?
>
> Yes.  And we need to get this right.  I think that we should say that
> if it's just a NAME after the #, this is an IDREF - if it's a '(',
> this is the start of a TEI locator.  If &lt; wasn't such a problem
> we could consider FSI syntax and so on too. -Tim

I interpret this to mean that any use of the '#' target requires it to
correspond to an ID and that HREF corresponds to an IDREF.  This represents
a departure from HTML, and while there is no requirement to follow
those semantics, my primary concern is the potential confusion to users.
[I raise this because when I developed CML I started with IDREF/ID and
dropped in in favour of the HREF/NAME convention because I thought
it was easier to 'sell' this to people who didn't know SGML.]

	P.

--
Peter Murray-Rust, domestic net connection
Virtual School of Molecular Sciences