Re: 4.c Homegrown locator language?

At 12:33 PM -0800 3/4/97, Tim Bray wrote:
>4.c The spec will describe some addressing types that we support.  Should
>we be open-ended and include a way to support other user-defined
>locator languages?

No, this generality doesn't offer very much, as authors can use any markup
they want, and any interpretation they want is fine -- XML linking should
concentrate on providing a base set of capabilities, and not explicitly
address extensibility.

   This is not to say that we might not have some hooks to allow the
standard to be extended, just that user-extension of XML linking is not
allowed -- at least if you do that you are not doing XML linking, but
something else.

  -- David