Re: Couldn't XML allow and ignore omitted tag minimization

At the time we first discussed this, I also argued for allowing
OMITTAG specifications in element declarations.  If we're going to
revisit this issue, I support Paul in this.  (If we're not going
to revisit this issue, you can stop reading now. :-)

For me, the reasoning goes like this:

- SGML declarations are a characteristic of documents, not DTDs.
- OMITTAG NO allows OMITTAG specifications in elem decls, so that
  a DTD written with tag omission in mind can still be used with
  a document that doesn't allow tag omission.
- XML documents, by definition, don't allow tag omission, but can
  use a wide variety of DTDs.
- This is the only area where the syntax of an XML markup declaration
  is related in any way to a particular SGML declaration setting.
- All this makes me believe we should follow 8879's lead in allowing
  the specification when our intent is OMITTAG NO.

	Eve