ERB work on 3.* (Linking Elements) issues

The ERB has now put two meetings work in on this set of issues and is
nowhere near done.  Not surprising, given the importance of the issues.
One of the factors holding us back a bit has been the fact that the
discussion in the WG on the 3.* issues has been lacking in both volume
and depth.  Reasons for this might be (a) that the WG is tired (the
ERB is), (b) that the WG is busy on other things, and (c) that the WG
has substantially less experience in these issues than in those that
came up in the XML language discussion.

Partially as a consequence, the following decisions include
some constructs and ideas that were made up on-the-spot in the ERB
without WG discussion.  For these reasons, this set of decisions would
benefit from particularly close review by the WG.

Unfortunately, due to workload and brain dysfunction caused by illness,
I do not have ERB attendence rosters and votes.  However I *believe*
that none of the decisions below had any dissenters; if I've missed
any I'd appreciate corrections from the wronged ERB members.

Cheers, Tim Bray
tbray@textuality.com http://www.textuality.com/ +1-604-708-9592