Re: Parameter entities allowed anywhere ?

In message <33156C8E.37D6@utila.ifi.uni-klu.ac.at> "Norbert H. MIKULA" writes:
> Michael Sperberg-McQueen wrote:
> > To be honest though I don't think this is a correct reading of
> > production 33.  There should probably be prose saying that
> > PE references in the internal and external subsets are invisible
> > to the grammar (in the sense that the replacement text has to
> > fit where the reference goes, i.e. that you stay in the internal

I took the sense of 4.3(6) to mean that PEs were treated in the same way
as other entities, though I agree that strictly 4.3 does not relate to
PEs.

The effect is important, of course.  For example, I have included HTML2.0
in my DTDs by something like:

<!ENTITY % html20 SYSTEM "html20.dtd">
%html20;

Unless the PEs in HTML2.0 are processed, the construct fails.

[...]

IMO developing parsers and real examples are the best way to discover these
problems and I am very grateful to Norbert for his effort.

--
Peter Murray-Rust, domestic net connection
Virtual School of Molecular Sciences