Re: 1.5: Discuss link characteristics?

At 20:10 15/2/97 -0800, Jon Bosak wrote:
>[Martin Bryan:]
>
>| The most important thing about CSS is the C (the SS is a pain!). We
>| need something like C-DSSSL-O and an equivalent C-Interact. For the
>| latter we need a way for servers to send down a pointer to a default
>| behaviour and have users say "replace the default behaviour with this
>| behaviour" (a catalog for Java applets?).

>>But when I pick up an issue of Wired magazine, for example, I don't
>say to myself, "Gee, I wish I could change this typeface to Garamond
>and adjust this gradient fill over here."  No, I say, "Jesus, I wish I
>could make the type a lot bigger and get that horrible background to
>go away so that I could read this."
>
>This is not a stylesheet problem.  This is an accessibility problem.

You missed my point completely Jon

As you yourself point out, the point of cascading options is to overcome
accessibility problems. The key point in my message is the last quote. It is
no good saying "use my applet to point to the spot you want more info on" to
a blind person. Equally its no good saying "point to the red square in the
green circle" to someone who is colour blind. They need some way to "make it
bigger, with no background images and a sound explanation of each link". We
must have user over-ridability of link behaviour if we are to make XML as
universally acceptable as HTML.
----
Martin Bryan, The SGML Centre, Churchdown, Glos. GL3 2PU, UK
Phone/Fax: +44 1452 714029   WWW home page: http://www.sgml.u-net.com/