Re: Loss of information going from SGML to XML

dmh@hpsgml.fc.hp.com wrote:
> Please, keep things in perspective. Exaggerations like "XML is not SGML
> therefore it is no good" help no one.

I think this is the exaggeration. I don't remember writing or reading
"therefore it is no good." The point was that information is lost going
from SGML to XML. The point was made in the context of having
information in SGML that did not fit "within the lines" of XML,
i.e., where a down-translation was required. This is not a qualitative
statement, just fact. Does the loss of information matter? Depends on
the context doesn't it?

I didn't qualify my statement as to the "goodness" or "badness" of XML.
Please don't do so for me.

bob