Re: Loss of information going from SGML to XML

Dave Hollander wrote:

> Thanks Bill!
>
> Please, keep things in perspective. Exaggerations like "XML is not SGML
> therefore it is no good" help no one. Lets not forget what, in my
> opinion is the real point, that XML is designed to increase the audience
> for SGML. The new audience has shown by their behavior that they are
> unwilling to make the commitment that full SGML requires.

Umm... has anyone actually said "XML is not SGML" or is that an
exaggeration?  Peter MR expressed discomfort with the number
and amount of changes he was making to CML to be XML compliant.
Since he is one of the very first to try this, we should be
cognizant of his reaction.  He supports this XML, so consider that
for those for whom a case has not been made, for whom benefits
are hard to demonstrate, that reaction will occur often.

Ignoring the reaction is exactly the same mistake as ignoring
the behavior of the audience you cite.  That is the customer base
speaking.  Being on the ERB should make you more aware of the
problem, not less.  Otherwise, why are you there?

len