Re: 2.4: Link recognition by processor fiat?

At 2:10 PM -0800 2/12/97, Tim Bray wrote:
>The ERB schedule calls for voting on these Feb. 19th.
>
>2.4: Should we allow that processors can decide that something is a link for
>     their own unspecified reasons, e.g. hardwired knowledge of their own
>     private element types, or external interaction?

We can't prevent processors from doing this, but if they do it's not XML
linking. We are in the business of defining a way to recognize links, not a
blanket endorsement for other ways of marking links.

We should not talk about this at all, even to forbid such recognition, even
though it is a bad idea.

  -- David