Re: 2.3: Link Recognition by PI or other signal?

On Wed, 12 Feb 1997 17:11:53 -0500 Tim Bray said:
>2.3 Should we provide a PI or other signaling mechanism whereby a document
>    can specify that particular elements ought to be processed as link
>    elements?

Working through mail thread by thread has its disadvantages.  Having
read the threads about recognition via GI and attribute and commented
before seeing this one, I now have to modify my views.  Rats.

I think reserved attributes may be the best way to go, but they are best
handled with multiple attlist declarations. When and if ISO changes SGML
to allow multiple ATTLIST decls, that will be the only mechanism needed.

In the meantime, I agree with Paul Grosso and Hasse Haitto that a PI is
a good mechanism, and with Paul Grosso that it can be viewed as a
substitute for using multiple attlist declarations.  (But then, I
thought DTD summaries were a good idea, too; this feels very similar.)

-CMSMcQ