Re: Winning battles but losing the war

!

>>"Henry S. Thompson" <ht@cogsci.ed.ac.uk> writes:
>>>Who's supposed to be making our case at the W3C level?  I've just seen
>>>a lengthy report from a UK representative of last month's W3C meeting,
>>>and XML is barely there: 2 one-line mentions in a 10-page report on a
>>>3-day meeting.  Numerous questions were raised to which XML is the
>>>answer, but apparently no-one gave that answer, e.g.
>>>
>>>  "Some felt that there should be an HTML extension mechanism (similar
>>>  to PEP for HTTP). Dan Connolly would produce a HTML briefing paper".
>>>
>>>Why doesn't this say "Dan Connolly pointed out that XML addressed this
>>>need directly."?
>
>I suspect Dan would argue with that proposition; I'm fairly sure TBL would
>if pinned down. Nobody on W3C staff said a kind word for XML when I and
>others brought it up. XML was not given air time; or rather it was listed
>on the agenda but time ran out during the final "quiz the staff" session.
>
>I hope next year someone from the SGML ERB will be given an hour to present
>the glowing success story. But we'll have to get XML far up the pipeline in
>the W3C process for that to happen; that pipeline is clogged, and if XML
>doesn't burst loose in Santa Clara it might not get another chance this
>year. (I wish I could be there.)

For the record, none of the text quoted was actually written by me,
although I did participate in the thread.

Murray

    Murray Altheim, Program Manager
    Spyglass, Inc., Cambridge, Massachusetts
    email: <mailto:murray@spyglass.com>
    http:  <http://www.cm.spyglass.com/murray/murray.html>
           "Give a monkey the tools and he'll eventually build a typewriter."