Winning battles but losing the war

Who's supposed to be making our case at the W3C level?  I've just seen
a lengthy report from a UK representative of last month's W3C meeting,
and XML is barely there: 2 one-line mentions in a 10-page report on a
3-day meeting.  Numerous questions were raised to which XML is the
answer, but apparently no-one gave that answer, e.g.

  "Some felt that there should be an HTML extension mechanism (similar
  to PEP for HTTP). Dan Connolly would produce a HTML briefing paper".

Why doesn't this say "Dan Connolly pointed out that XML addressed this
need directly."?

ht